Mains Paper 3: Science & Technology | Indigenization of technology & developing new technology
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: ARIIA
Mains level: Boosting innovation ecosystem in India
- The Centre announced another annual ranking of higher educational institutions, based on how they fare in terms of innovation.
- The new ranking – named Atal Ranking of Institutions on Innovation Achievements (ARIIA) – will be formally launched on October 15, the birth anniversary of former President APJ Abdul Kalam.
- Ministry of HRD announced the new ranking, which will work parallel to the overall ranking of institutions captured by the annual National Institutional Ranking Framework.
- ARIIA – named after Atal Bihari Vajpayee – will focus on:
- budget expenses and revenues generated;
- facilitating access to advance centres;
- ideas of entrepreneurship;
- innovation ecosystems supported through teaching and learning and
- innovative solutions to improve governance of the institution.
- There is a slight distinction between research which is crucial in the NIRF framework – and innovation: research produces new knowledge while innovation puts that knowledge to use.