Mains Paper 2: Governance | Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources.
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: National Medical Commission
Mains level: The statements of the President and the Prime Minister on such issues are important for the exam. Because these statements shows the point of views of government on important issues. And give an insight of the government policies.
Statement by the President
- President of Indian has said that the restructuring the Medical Council of India (MCI) is one of the reforms needed to address the acute shortage of doctors in India
- “We need a new regulatory system to enhance availability of doctors and medical professionals in our society
- We have to overcome regulatory bottlenecks and interest groups that have prevented the growth of quality medical education in our country
- This gives us far fewer medical graduates and postgraduates every year than our people need”
Why is this statement important?
- According to the ministry of health and family welfare, a total 1.02 million allopathic doctors were registered with the MCI or with state medical councils as of 31 March 2017
- Going by these figures, India barely has seven allopathic doctors per 10,000 population
The statement come amid the Indian Medical Association’s protest against the National Medical Comtmission(NMC)
- The IMA is protesting against a proposed bill that seeks to replace the MCI with a NMC
- The apex medical body earlier this month called a one-day strike in hospitals across the country, shutting down outpatient services claiming the bill sas “anti-poor, anti-people, non-representative, undemocratic and anti-federal”
- However, Government called it “beneficial” to the medical profession while addressing the Parliament in earlier this month
- The bill was later referred to a parliamentary standing committee following nationwide protests