- Recent reduction in export benefits to the sector under the MEIS (Merchandise Exports from India Scheme).
- Tea had been earlier included in the Vishesh Krishi and Gram Udyog Yojana (VKGUY). Under this scheme, teas (both bulk and value-added) were eligible for incentive in the form of Duty Credit Scrip.
- This clause may be tampered with in the new MEIS.
How big is this issue?
- Tea, coffee, spice & cashew also constitute part of this categorisation.
- Also, women constitute over 50% of the total workforce.