Mains Paper 3: Economy | Infrastructure: Energy, Ports, Roads, Airports, Railways etc.
Prelims Level: Bharatmala Project, NSC certificates, etc.
Mains Level: Concerns raised by the government
What is the issue?
- The finance ministry has flagged concerns over state-run National Highways Authority of India’s (NHAI’s) plan to float taxable bonds
- The NHAI wants to raise Rs3,000 crore to finance the ambitious Bharatmala scheme for road construction
- The plan to float taxable bonds came after the Union budget failed to provide any budgetary assistance for Bharatmala
What are the concerns?
- The concerns range from the impact of these bonds on other instruments such as National Savings Certificates (NSC) to the quantum of the float
Particulars of the Bharatmala Scheme
- The total length to be developed as expressways under Bharatmala will be 51,000km
- India plans to invest as much as Rs5.97 trillion in the current fiscal to bankroll its new integrated infrastructure programme, which involves building of roads, railways, waterways and airports