Mains Paper 2 : Health & Education |
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : NITI Aayog’s Health Index
Mains level : Read the attached story
Kerala tops yet again
- Kerala was ranked the best in the country in terms of health performance, according to health index scores in a report by NITI Aayog.
- Kerala had an overall score of 74.01, with Andhra Pradesh coming second at 65.13.
NITI Aayog’s Health Index
- The report is an annual systematic performance tool to measure the performance of the States and UTs.
- It ranks states and union territories on their year on year incremental change in health outcomes, as well as, their overall performance with respect to each other.
- The index analyses overall performance and incremental improvement in the States and the UTs for the period with 2015-16 as the base year and 2017-18 as the reference year.
- HIV and tuberculosis detection and treatment, institutional deliveries, maternal and neonatal mortality rates, and immunisation coverage are among the indices measured and compared.
- The states are broadly grouped into three: larger and smaller states and union territories so as to maintain a constant when comparing their health indices.
- States had to fill in the responses in a specially created dashboard while a number of responses were pre-filled while sourced from National Family Health Survey-4 and Health Management Information System.
Performance by states:
Image source: Business Standard