For defence critical spare parts like submarine batteries, there cannot be any open advertisement inviting tenders.
- The SC upheld the government’s policy against having any open advertisements inviting tenders for critical and specialised defence spare parts.
- Advertisements are issued calling for tenders only for common use items which are normally available in the open market with a wide range of sources.
- Submarine batteries do not fall under this category of common use items, the apex court held.
- The importance of submarine batteries to a submarine cannot be underestimated as it is strategically a vital equipment for submarines.
- The only source of power to a submarine when it dives beyond nine metres into sea/ocean is submarine batteries.