From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : About NASG
Mains level : Maternity healthcare in India
- Project Sahara, an initiative in the state of Gujarat uses a unique technique to prevent maternal mortality due to excess bleeding.
Non-pneumatic Anti-Shock Garment (NASG)
- Most mothers after child delivery suffer from postpartum haemorrhage (PPH) that leads to continuous and excessive bleeding.
- The rapid loss of blood because of PPH reduces the body’s blood pressure and can even cause death.
- The non-pneumatic anti-shock garment (NASG) applies pressure to the lower body and abdomen, thereby forcing the blood that was getting accumulated in the pelvic area to other essential organs of the body.
- The neoprene garment quickly stabilizes vitals and gives doctor enough time for treatment.
Why need NASG?
- As such, in November 2018, Babu started a new project, called Sahara, that aimed at reducing haemorrhage-related maternal deaths by providing new mothers with a special suit —the NASG.
- PPH-related deaths accounts for significant number of maternal mortality in India.
- A lot of mothers become anaemic because of poor nutrition. This weakness compounds the damage caused by excessive and sudden bleeding.