The BCIM corridor is an ambitious undertaking that hopes to connect Kolkata with Kunming, capital of the Yunnan province.
What are these non traditional issues?
- Ethnic insurgencies, terrorism, drug trafficking,
- Accompanying spread of HIV infections, antiques smuggling and
- cross-border human trafficking, threaten to derail the project.
- Fighting between Myanmar Army and ethnic Kokang rebels, known as the Myanmar National Democratic Alliance Army, based near the Chinese border, pose a threat to the network.
- Communal violence involving Buddhists and Rohingya Muslims has also flared in Rakhine State.