Skip to content
- News: Indian diaspora will no longer have to get a visa affixed on their passports every time they travel to India
- Context: Govt has decided that since categories Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) and Persons of Indian Origin (PIO) were merged last yr
- OCI card will suffice to enter the country and hence would require no VISA
- Old Practice: Every OCI card holder required to get a visa affixed from Indian High Commission whenever they planned a visit to India.
- Amendment: Govt amended the Citizenship Act, 1955 last yr and a notification was issued to merge the 2 cards
- Importance: Move would also help create a database of the Indian diaspora as a consolidated figure is not present with the govt