From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Ongole Cattle
Mains level : Promoting indigenous breeds for animal husbandry
- The Vice-President has stressed for promoting Ongole cattle breed in a recent speech.
- Ongole cattle are an indigenous cattle breed that originates from Prakasam District in the state of Andhra Pradesh.
- The breed derives its name from the place the breed originates from, Ongole.
- The Ongole breed of cattle Bos Indicus, has a great demand as it is said to possess resistance to both foot and mouth disease and mad cow disease.
What’s so special about this breed?
- Cattle breeders use the fighting ability of the bulls to choose the right stock for breeding in terms of purity and strength.
- Ongole cattle are known for their toughness, rapid growth rate, and natural tolerance to tropical heat and disease resistance.
- It was perhaps the first Indian breed of cattle to gain worldwide recognition.
- Ongole bulls have gone as far as America, the Netherlands, Malaysia, Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Mexico, Paraguay, Indonesia, West Indies, Australia, Fiji, Mauritius, Indo-China and Philippines.
- The Brahmana bull in America is an off-breed of the Ongole.
- The population of Ongole off-breed in Brazil is said to number several million.
- The famous Santa Gertrudis breed developed in Texas, USA have Ongole blood.
- It has gained global prominence, particularly in Brazil which imported barely hundred animals and produced multiple superior breeds like the world famous Zebu.
Used for Bull Fights
- These cattle are commonly used in bull fights in Mexico and some parts of East Africa due to their strength and aggressiveness.
- They also participate in traditional bull fights in Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu.