Skip to the content
- SC has made it clear that Aadhar cannot be insisted by any authority as a pre- condition for citizens to avail any benefit. Why?
- Making Aadhaar a mandatory would cause hardship to various sections as people stand to lose benefits or be denied routine services.
- Govt. can continue linking Aadhar cards for PDS and PAHAL scheme by linking Aadhar cards.
- However, there is a need for an effective identification mechanism to authenticate beneficiaries for delivery of services.
- But, any mechanism with no legal backing and without clear norms endangers misuse of the personal information and biometric data.