Skip to the content
- Regular evaluation of judicial performance is a springboard for ensuring greater judicial accountability but we do not have any institutional mechanism.
- Judicial accountability promotes 3 discrete values – rule of law, public confidence in the judiciary and constitutional responsibility.
- Our constitution protect judges against the will of the masses, the will of parliament and the will of central government but does not provide provide for the accountability of judges.
- According to the constitution judges can be impeached by parliament on the ground of proved misbehaviour or incapacity.
- US has a merit plan under which not only are the judges appointment on merit but their continuance in office is decided on the basis of nonpartisan elections.