Mains Paper 2: IR | Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests
Once you are done reading this op-ed, you will be able to attempt the below.
“India and China must address bilateral issues in a sustainable way, pursuing the BRICS spirit” Discuss
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: BRICS , Belt and Road Initiative
Mains level:India- china relations
- India and China putting up a united front at the BRICS summit, and proposed a revival of the Panchsheel principles of peaceful cooperation
BRICS Summit- Key points
- India-China, agreement that Doklam-like situations must not recur is an indication that India and China are looking for new mechanisms to strengthen the border defence agreements that have held in the past.
- China gave nod to the inclusion of the Lashkar-e-Taiba and the Jaish-e-Mohammed among the terrorist groups threatening regional stability.
- China choosing not to speak of the contentious Belt and Road Initiative at the summit suggested it was heeding India’s concerns.
- Both countries expressed similar views about resisting economic protectionism of the kind that the Trump administration in the U.S. has been espousing
- All five countries condemned North Korean nuclear tests, while advocating dialogue and not the use of force.
- Indian and Chinese officials must re-engage in a sustained manner to address all areas of discord which led to the charged situation at Doklam.
- They must review where the border defence standard operating procedures failed
- Two countries must convene the delayed meeting of the Special Representatives, and add the latest claims and counter-claims over the Sikkim boundary and the India-China-Bhutan tri-junction to the agenda for discussions.
- It is necessary to see that the much-acclaimed BRICS language on terrorist groups like the LeT and JeM is translated into actionable points
- Beijing will have an early opportunity to do so in October when the issue of designating JeM chief Masood Azhar as a global terrorist comes up at the UN Security Council and when the UN’s Financial Action Task Force takes stock of Pakistan’s actions against the LeT.