Skip to the content
- Theme: India successfully carried out surgical strikes across the Line of Control in PoK.
- Reason behind this strike: Specific intelligence that terrorist groups were planning attacks in India and to send a strong response to the Uri terror attack.
- Significance of the move: The strikes were not an attack on Pakistan’s defence forces, but a targeted action against terrorists poised to wreak damage in India.
- At the same time, strikes were declared complete shortly after the operation and Pakistan was assured that India would not escalate the conflict beyond this.
- With this, India has officially abandoned its policy of “strategic restraint” in face of provocation by terrorists believed to be backed by Pakistan.
- Non-military responses being considered: First, the government reviewed the working of the Indus Waters Treaty.
- Second, it is considering a review of Pakistan’s Most Favoured Nation status.
- Third, it has pulled out of the SAARC heads’ meet to be held in Islamabad.