Skip to the content
- A ‘2015 Agreement’ is to be signed at the United Nation’s Climate Change Conference in Paris, this December.
- Currently, there is no international benchmark of what counts as sufficient climate action but then every country needs to have a story. Right?
- India is in the early stage of 3 transformations: a demographic transition for which its needs to create jobs; a shift from a rural to an at least half-urban society; and vastly expanded infrastructure to support both transitions.
- Given these factors, it would be foolhardy to place a cap on India’s carbon headroom.
- Still, India must signal serious intent, both because it wants to be seen as a responsible global player, and because an effective climate agreement is firmly in its own interests.