Mains Paper 2: Governance | Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Not Much
Mains level: Need for a pan-India policy for smoother transition towards clean mobility.
Leading by example
- Jharkhand government has recently introduced electric vehicles for official use.
- While 20 vehicles have been acquired for the first phase, another 30 are expected to be added to the fleet in the coming weeks.
E-Vehicles integral to Smart Cities Mission
- In the current scenario of soaring fuel prices and the spectre of climate change looming large over the planet, it is a welcome step that a Jharkhand government is taking the lead in switching to e-vehicles.
- Clean mobility powered by clean energy is our most powerful weapon in our fight against climate change.
- It is a well known fact that government officials are tremendous guzzlers of fossil fuel.
- It is very realistic opinion that they could exchange their petroleum-based vehicles for electric ones.
Motivation for others
- If other States and the Centre were to follow the example set by Jharkhand, it would have two positive spin-offs.
- First, it would encourage the spread of a transportation infrastructure specific to e-vehicles.
- And second, it would spur the early adoption of e-vehicles by first-time buyers, generating consumer momentum for India’s stated goal of ensuring that by 2030.
- This is not far-fetched as quite a few countries, such as Norway and France, already have a substantial percentage of their vehicles running on either electricity or alternate fuels.
- Electric vehicles are also an integral component of smart cities, as they are an automatic assumption in frameworks of smart transportation.
- Meanwhile, the government needs to speed up the formulation of rules for e-vehicles as a category.
- The policy makers must come up with an India-specific road map for a transition that needs to be smooth if only because it is inevitable.