Turkey’s decision to join the war against IS is based on the realization of IS threat on the backdrop of IS bombing of Turkish city, last month.
- IS had almost reached Turkish border, a region occupied by Kurdish militias. But, Kurds posed a strong resistance to IS driving them away from the region.
- Kurds were provided cover fire by US’ Air Force, which was a major cause of worry for Turkey.
- However, Ankara’s strategy seems a little misdirected as it started bombing the areas occupied by both Kurdish militants and IS.
- This will lead to weakening of of Kurds, the major force on ground to tackle IS, thereby strengthening IS.
- Turkey should work on sustainable peace plan by taking forward its ceasefire with Kurds and focusing on military operation against IS.