Mains Paper 3: Disaster Management | Disaster and disaster management.
Q.) “Protocols followed by State governments to deal with floods need an urgent review.” Comment.
From the UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims Level: Particulars of the NDRF
Mains Level: The article gives important suggestions for disaster management.
- In the article, the writer talks about the recent floods in eastern and western India and give some suggestions for better disaster management
What we need to counter these situations?
- At least 600 people are dead and thousands of people are displaced due to recent floods in eastern and western India
- To deal with such frequent, destructive weather events we need a massive capacity-building programme
What people need from government?
- There are many actions people need on the ground
(1) short-term housing
(2) food and safe water
(3) access to health care and protection for women, children and the elderly
Problem in using disaster relief funds
- Some States have not been able to use disaster relief funds as intended
- And the Centre has asked them to set off the unutilised portion when making fresh claims
How to mitigate damage?
- A review of the deployment of National Disaster Response Force teams near waterbodies is needed
- The experience NDRF together with data compiled by the Central Water Commission can reveal the hotspots where better management can mitigate damage
The way forward
- Governments cannot expect that people with good incomes will take calamitous losses, with neither social support nor financial instruments available to rebuild lives
- A vigorous monsoon is vital for the economy, but governments should be prepared to deal with the consequences of excess rainfall