From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Operation Clean Art
Mains level : Wildlife conservation in India
Recently a planned raid, was held in UP to check on organised factories that were making paint brushes with mongoose hair.
Operation Clean Art
- Operation Clean Art was the first pan India operation to crackdown on the smuggling of mongoose hair in the country.
- It was conceived by WCCB with the singular aim of ensuring that the mongoose hair brush trade should be closed down across the country.
- There is also a campaign on social media where concerned organisations are urging artists to take a pledge to refrain from using brushes made of mongoose hair.
- For about 1kg of hair, at least 40 mongooses are killed.
Protection of Mongoose
- The mongoose is listed in Schedule II Part 2 of the Wildlife Protection Act.
- Any smuggling or possession of its body part is a non-bailable offence.