Mains Paper 2: Indian Polity | Statutory, regulatory and various quasi-judicial bodies
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: APTEL
Mains level: Read the attached story
Justice Manjula Chellur took Oath as Chairperson, Appellate Tribunal for Electricity, Ministry of Power.
Appellate Tribunal for Electricity (APTEL)
- On 10th June, 2003, the Electricity Act was notified by the Govt. of India.
- A/c to this act, Appellate Tribunal for Electricity has been established by Central Government for those who are not satisfied with the Central Electricity Regulatory Commission order or with a state.
- The Tribunal has the authority to overrule or amend that order, just like the Income-Tax tribunal or the Central Administrative Tribunal.
- The tribunal has to be approached within 45 days of the aggrieved person from getting the order.
- The Act extends to the whole of India except the state of Jammu & Kashmir.