From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : AIS 155, Microdots
Mains level : Application of Microdots
The Union Ministry of Road Transport & Highways (MoRTH) has notified regarding to Automotive Industry Standards (AIS)-155 in respect of Microdot identifiers affixed on the motor vehicles.
What is AIS-155?
- AIS-155 is an Indian standard for Microdot identifiers which are affixed on the motor vehicles and their parts, components, assemblies, sub-assemblies through amendment in Rule 92 of the Central Motor vehicles.
- The Central Motor vehicles (Fourteenth Amendment) Rules, 2019 comes into force on the date of publication in the Official Gazette.
- The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways issued a draft notification on amending the Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989, and allowing motor vehicles and their parts, components, assemblies, sub-assemblies to be affixed with permanent and nearly invisible microdots.
- These microdots can be read physically with a microscope and identified with ultraviolet light.
- Microdots are a globally proven technology to ensure originality in spare parts of machines and components, including in the automobile sector.
- The government has envisaged that with microdots becoming a permanent feature in vehicles, identifying them would become easier in case they are stolen.
How it works?
- The microdots and adhesive are to become a permanent fixture/affixation which cannot be removed without damaging the asset itself.
- The microdots are to comply with AIS 155 requirements, if affixed.
- The technology involves spraying thousands of microscopic dots onto vehicles or other assets to form a unique identification.
- Each microdot carries this identification which is registered to the owner, but is not visible to the naked eye.