Mains Paper 1 : Modern Indian History |
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Battle of Kangla Tongbi and Imphal
Mains level : Japanese invasion of SE Asia
- The Battle of Kangla Tongbi recently completed its platinum jubilee.
Battle of Kangla Tongbi
- It is considered one of the fiercest battles of World War II, was fought by Ordnance personnel of 221 Advance Ordnance Depot (AOD) on the night of 6/7 April 1944.
- Japanese forces had planned a three pronged offensive to capture Imphal and the surrounding areas.
- At Kangla Tongbi, a small but determined detachment of 221 AOD put up stiff resistance against the advancing Japanese forces.
- The position of 221 AOD was not at all sound from a tactical point of view and was exposed to the enemy from all sides and had to rely on its own combatant manpower for its defence.
- However their combatant role shook the enemy and forced the Japanese to withdraw leaving many dead.
Significance of the battle
- This battle is one of those fought during the Battle of Imphal that shook imperialist motives of Japan and made them reconsider.
- Japanese armies attempted to destroy the Allied forces at Imphal and invade India, but were driven back into Burma with heavy losses.
- The defeat was the largest defeat to that date in Japanese history with many of the Japanese deaths resulting from starvation, disease and exhaustion suffered during their retreat.