From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: JIMEX 2018
Mains level: Importance of such bilateral exercises
Japan-India Maritime Exercise (JIMEX) 2018
- Japan and India would be participating in the third edition of Japan-India Maritime Exercise (JIMEX) with the ships of Eastern Fleet of the Indian Navy (IN) from 07 to 15 October 18.
- JIMEX-18 is aimed to enhance interoperability, improve understanding and imbibe the best practices of each other.
- The ships participating are INS Satpura, multipurpose stealth frigate, INS Kadmatt, Anti-Submarine Warfare Corvette, Missile Corvette and INS Shakti, the Fleet Tanker.
- In addition, one submarine, P8I Long Range Maritime Patrol Aircraft and a number of integral helicopters would also be participating in the exercise.
Details of JIMEX 18
- JIMEX 18, spread over eight days, will comprise a Harbour Phase and a Sea Phase of four days each.
- The Harbour Phase will include professional and social interactions between ship’s crews, sports fixtures and operational planning for the Sea Phase.
- The Sea Phase would include Anti-Submarine Warfare Exercises, VBSS (Visit, Board, Search and Seizure) Drills, Gun Firings, Cross Deck Helo Operations and coordinated operations in Anti-Submarine/ Anti-Air threat scenarios.
- The last edition of JIMEX was conducted in Dec 2013 off Chennai.
Importance of the exercise
- The conduct of JIMEX-18 after five years is indicative of an upswing in the Indo-Japanese defence relations and the continued efforts to work closely to enhance safety and security of the global commons.
- It will help establishing rule based order on the IOR.