Mains Paper 3: Internal Security | Security challenges & their management in border areas
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: BOLD-QIT Project
Mains level: Ensuring border security
- The MHA has inaugurated the project BOLD-QIT (Border Electronically Dominated QRT Interception Technique) under CIBMS (Comprehensive Integrated Border Management system) on India-Bangladesh border in Dhubri District of Assam.
Border Electronically Dominated QRT Interception Technique
- BOLD-QIT is the project to install technical systems under the Comprehensive Integrated Border Management System (CIBMS), which enables BSF to equip Indo-Bangla borders with different kind of sensors in unfenced riverine area of Brahmaputra and its tributaries.
- In Jan, 2018, IT Wing of BSF undertook the project BOLD-QIT.
- The entire span of River Brahmaputra has been covered with data network generated by Microwave communication, OFC Cables, DMR Communication, day and night surveillance Cameras and intrusion detection system.
- These modern gadgets provide feeds to BSF Control Rooms on the Border and enable BSF Quick Reaction Teams to thwart any possibility of Illegal Cross Border Crossing/ Crimes.
- The implementation of this project will not only help BSF to curb all type of cross border crimes but also provide respite to the troops from round the clock human surveillance.
Why this move?
- Border Security Force is responsible for safeguarding of 4,096 Km long International Border with Bangladesh.
- At various places, it is not possible to erect Border Fence due to the geographical barriers.
- The 61 Km of Border area where River Brahmaputra enters into Bangladesh is consisting of vast char lands and innumerable river channels thus making border guarding in this area, a daunting task especially during rainy season.