Mains Paper 2: Governance | Government policies & interventions for development in various sectors & issues arising out of their design & implementation
From the UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: All three agreements mentioned
Mains level: IPR protection in India
- The Union Cabinet has approved the proposal for accession of India to:
The Nice Agreement concerned with the International classification of Goods and Services for the purposes of registration of marks
The Vienna Agreement establishing an International Classification of the figurative elements of marks
The Locarno Agreement establishing an International classification for industrial designs.
About these agreements
- These are open to States party to the Paris Convention for the Protection of Industrial Property (1883).
- Instruments of ratification or accession must be deposited with the Director General of WIPO.
- Accession to these will help the Intellectual Property Office in India to harmonize the classification systems for examinational of trademark and design applications, in line with the classification systems followed globally.
- It would give an opportunity to include Indian designs, figurative elements and goods in the international classification systems.
- The accession is expected to instill confidence in foreign investors in relation to protection of IPs in India.
- The accession would also facilitate in exercising rights in decision making processes regarding review and revision of the classifications under the agreement.