Mains Paper3: Governance | Welfare schemes for vulnerable sections of the population by the Centre and States and the performance of these schemes
The following things are important from UPSC perspective:
Prelims: AWHs and ICDS
Mains level: Not Much
- The CCEA has approved enhancement of honorarium to Anganwadi Workers/Anganwadi Helpers (AWWs/AWHs)and performance linked incentive to AWHs [Umbrella Integrated Child Development Services (ICDS) Scheme].
- Nearly 27 lakh AWWs/AWHs will be benefitted by the approval.
Details of the approval
- The proposals approved consist of the following:
|Name of Functionary||Old Rates p.m.||Revised Rates p.m.|
|Anganwadi Worker at Mini-AWC||Rs.2,250/-||Rs.3,500/-|
- In addition, monthly performance linked incentive of Rs.250/- has also been approved for Anganwadi Helpers for facilitating proper functioning of Anganwadi Centres (AWCs).
- The programme through targeted interventions will strive to reduce the level of malnutrition, anemia and low birth weight babies.
- It will ensure empowerment of adolescent girls, provide protection to the children who are in conflict with law, provide safe place for day-care to children of working mothers, create synergy.
- It will further ensure better monitoring, encourage States/UTs to perform, guide and supervise line Ministries and States/UTs to achieve the targeted goals and bring more transparency.
Integrated Child Development Services (ICDS)
- Launched in 1975, ICDS is an programme which provides food, preschool education, and primary healthcare to children under 6 years of age and their mothers.
- These services are provided from Anganwadi centres established mainly in rural areas and staffed with frontline workers.
- In addition to fighting malnutrition and ill health, the programme is also intended to combat gender inequality by providing girls the same resources as boys.