Mains Paper 3: Economy | Development & Employment
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Indian Institute of Skills, Skill India Mission
Mains level: State of skill development institutes in the country
IISs at different locations
- The Union Cabinet has approved the setting up of Indian Institute of Skills (IISs) at different locations across the country in PPP.
- The PPP Models will be explored for promotion of IIS at select locations based on demand and available infrastructure.
Benefits of IISs
- The IISs shall providing high quality skill training, applied research education and a direct and meaningful connection with industry.
- The setting up of IISs shall augment the global competitiveness of key sectors of Indian economy
- It will provide opportunity to aspiring youth across the country to have access to highly skilled training.
- By leveraging advantages of private sector enterprise and public capital in terms of Government land, it would create new institutes of expertise, knowledge and competitiveness.