From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Central Equipment Identity Register (CEIR)
Mains level : Not Much
Central Equipment Identity Register (CEIR)
- International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI) is supposed to be a unique identity of a mobile phone device.
- IMEI number being programmable, some miscreants do reprogram the IMEI number, which results in cloning of IMEI causing multiple phone devices with same IMEI number.
- As on date, there are many cases of cloned/duplicated IMEI handsets in the network.
- If such IMEI is blocked, a large number of mobile phones will get blocked being handsets with same IMEI causing inconvenience to many genuine customers.
- Thus, there is a need to eliminate duplicate/fake IMEI mobile phones from the network.
- Accordingly, a project called Central Equipment Identity Register (CEIR) system has been undertaken by the DoT for addressing security, theft and other concerns including reprogramming of mobile handsets.
Objectives of the project
- Blocking of lost/stolen mobile phones across mobile networks thus discouraging theft of mobile phones
- Facilitate in tracing of such reported lost/stolen mobile phones
- Prevention of mobile devices with duplicate and fake IMEIs in the network
- Curtail the use of counterfeit mobile devices
- Reduced health risks to the users with the control of use of counterfeit mobile phones
- Improved QoS and reduced call drops with reduction in use of counterfeit mobile devices