From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Chief Information Commissioner and Particulars of the App
Mains level: Not Much
The Central Information Commission (CIC) has launched a newly updated version of a mobile app in Hindi also, – “CIC App”, which is available in Google Play Store and Apple store with the following features:
- Applicant can submit his/her 2nd Appeal(s)/ Complaint(s) / link paper(s) in both the languages i.e. in Hindi and English
- The appellant can search and trace dak, 2nd Appeal/Complaint in both the languages.
- Real-time status is available in both the languages (Hindi & English)
- Appellant can download a copy of Hearing notice, Facilitation memo & decision.
Central Information Commission
- The Central Information Commission (CIC) set up under the Right to Information Act is the authorised body, established in 2005 by the Government of India.
- It acts upon complaints from those individuals who have not been able to submit information requests to a Central Public Information Officer or State Public Information Officer due to either the officer not have been appointed, or because the respective Central Assistant Public Information Officer or State Assistant Public Information Officer refused to receive the application for information under the RTI Act.
- The Commission includes 1 Chief Information Commissioner (CIC) and not more than 10 Information Commissioners (IC) who are appointed by the President of India.
- CIC and members are appointed by the President of India on the recommendation of a committee consisting of—Prime Minister as Chairperson, the Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha; a Union Cabinet Minister to be nominated by the Prime Minister.