Mains Paper 2 : Health & Education |
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : World Food Programme, Coffee Table Book
Mains level : Not Much
- Union Minister of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare has launched a Coffee Table Book today to commemorate five decades of partnership between the Ministry and the UN World Food Programme towards addressing food and nutritional security in India.
Coffee Table Book
- The Book showcases key milestones achieved by the Government of India in its efforts to make the nation free from hunger and malnutrition and WFP’s role in this endeavour.
- Some of the major turning points in India’s journey towards food and nutrition security captured in the book include the Green Revolution, the White revolution, improvements in livestock and dairy development and digitization of food safety nets.
About World Food Programme
- The World Food Programme (WFP) is the food-assistance branch of the United Nations.
- It is the world’s largest humanitarian organization addressing hunger and promoting food security.
- According to the WFP, it provides food assistance to an average of 91.4 million people in 83 countries each year.
- From its headquarters in Rome and from more than 80 country offices around the world, the WFP works to help people who cannot produce or obtain enough food for themselves and their families.
- It is a member of the United Nations Development Group and part of its executive committee.