From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : CORAS
Mains level : Not Much
CORAS (Commandos for Railway Security)
- To tackle the threats to Railway passengers or establishments, a special task force having trained manpower was required.
- Keeping in mind the threat from disruptive forces, induction of CORAS was planned in Railway Protection Force.
- Commissioning of CORAS will address challenges to these ongoing projects as well as any challenging situation for Railway travellers.
- The commandos in CORAS are well trained in reputed institutions and are capable of meeting any precarious situation.
- To develop world level capabilities of specialized responder for any situation pertaining to damage, disturbance, disruption of train operations, attack/hostage/hijack, disaster situations in railway areas.
- Following the doctrine of graded response, minimum effective force shall be used for providing fool proof security to Indian Railways and its users.
- Carved out from motivated and willing young staff of RPF/RPSF.
- With an average age between 30-35 years, CORAS will always be young and motivated staff.
- Very high physical standards to join CORAS.
- Commando Coys shall be deployed in Left Wing Extremism (LWE)/Insurgency/Terrorism affected Railway areas.