Mains Paper 2 : Representation Of People's Act |
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : SVEEP, Community Radio Stations
Mains level : Ensuring Voters awareness
- In a first of its kind initiative, the ECI has reached out to over 150 Community Radio stations from across the country to help educate and inform the voters.
- The main purpose of the workshop was for training and capacity building of Community Radios for voter education and awareness.
Community Radio Stations
- Community radio is a radio service offering a third model of radio broadcasting in addition to commercial and public broadcasting.
- They serve geographic communities and communities of interest.
- They broadcast content that is popular and relevant to a local, specific audience but is often overlooked by commercial or mass-media broadcasters.
- Community radio stations are operated, owned, and influenced by the communities they serve.
Why need community radios?
- Community radio plays an important role in dissemination of information about government schemes and policies to the common people in local languages.
- India is a land of diversity in terms of language, social practices, dialects and culture, a community radio can be a powerful tool to revive culture and languages that are dying.
- It can help give voice to the voiceless in the backward community.
About Systematic Voters Education and Electoral Participation (SVEEP)
- It is the flagship program of the Election Commission of India for voter education, spreading voter awareness and promoting voter literacy in India.
- Since 2009, it has been working towards preparing India’s electors and equipping them with basic knowledge related to the electoral process.
- SVEEP is designed according to the socio-economic, cultural and demographic profile of the state as well as the history of electoral participation in previous rounds of elections and learning thereof.