From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : CORPAT
Mains level : India's engagement with Bay of Bengal neighbors
- The second edition of Indian Navy (IN) –Bangladesh Navy(BN) Coordinated Patrol (CORPAT) has commenced in Northern Bay of Bengal.
- It is aimed at upgrading to a bilateral exercise with the navies engaging in seamanship evolutions, flying exercises with integral helicopters and maritime patrol aircraft at sea.
- Additionally, exercises entailing the development of mutual communication and sharing of best practices would also be undertaken, adding a new dimension to the Indo – Bangladesh maritime relations.
- Both navies hone their mutual cooperation whilst patrolling near the International Maritime Boundary Line (IMBL) during the current edition of CORPAT.
- CORPAT is an Indian Navy tactical procedure on behalf of Indian “Wannabe” diplomatic ambitions rather than a Multi National Treaty.
- CORPAT has been carried out with Bangladesh, Indonesia, and Thailand.
- It is a naval procedure that India carries out with any other country that is willing in an attempt at showing the flag as a diplomatic maneuver.