Mains Paper 3: Science & Technology | Indigenization of technology & developing new technology
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Akash Missile Systems, IUWBA, T-90 Tanks
Mains level: India’s strides in defense technology sector and need for further development.
- The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC), chaired by Raksha Mantri accorded approval for the procurement of equipment for the Defence Forces valued at over Rs 9,100 crores.
Upgraded Akash Missile Systems
- Pursuing the goal of indigenization and self-reliance, the DAC approved procurement of two Regiments of Akash Missile Systems under ‘Buy (Indian)’
- The Missile to be procured is an upgraded version of the previously inducted Akash missiles.
- The DRDO developed Akash as part of the Integrated Guided Missile Development Programme initiated in 1984.
- It is made by Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL).
- Akash has a range of 25 km and can engage multiple targets at a time in all-weather conditions.
- It has a large operational envelope, from 30 metre to a maximum of 20 km.
Individual Under Water Breathing Apparatus (IUWBA)
- The DAC also accorded approval for progressing Design and Development of Individual Under Water Breathing Apparatus (IUWBA) for T 90 Tanks.
- Developed by DRDO Lab DEBEL, the IUWBA is used by the crew of Tanks as a safety gear and is required by the Tank crew for emergency escape when negotiating water obstacles while deep fording.
- The DAC also accorded approval for Design and Development of Test Equipment for Guided Weapons System of T 90 Tank.
- The equipment is being developed by DRDO and will give an indigenous solution to the Test Equipment used for checking the Guided Weapon System of Tank T 90.