From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : UAPA
Mains level : Impact of the proposed amendments
- Invoking the recent amendments in the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, 1967, the Central Government has decided to declare the following individuals as terrorists and add their names to Schedule 4 of the Act:
- Maulana Masood Azhar : chief, founder and key leader of Jaish-e-Mohammad
- Hafiz Muhammad: chief, founder and key leader of Lashkar-e-Taiba/Jamat-ud-Dawa
- Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi: chief operation commander of Lashkar-e-Taiba and one of its founder members
- Dawood Ibrahim Kaskar: runs an international underworld crime syndicate and is involved in perpetrating acts of terror
- All of the above are involved in terrorist attacks in India, and have been designated as global terrorists under United Nations.
- Earlier when terrorist organizations were banned, the individuals associated with it simply changed names and continued to carry out terrorist activities.