From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Diamond Quadrilateral Bullet Train Network Project
Mains level : High speed railway connectivity in India: Prospects and Challenges
Some information about the Diamond Quadrilateral Bullet Train Network Project was given by the Minister of Railways in Rajya Sabha.
Diamond Quadrilateral Bullet Train Network Project
- In the Railway Budget 2014-15, it was announced to undertake planning of high speed rail connectivity on Diamond Quadrilateral network connecting major metros and growth centres of the country.
- Accordingly, Ministry of Railways has undertaken feasibility studies for some routes namely Delhi-Mumbai, Delhi-Kolkata, Mumbai-Chennai, Mumbai-Nagpur and Chennai-Bengaluru-Mysuru.
- However, being highly capital intensive, the sanction of any High Speed Rail Project has not yet commended.
- Till now, Government has sanctioned Mumbai-Ahmedabad High Speed Rail (MAHSR) Project with technical and financial assistance of Government of Japan.
- This project is targetted for completion by the year 2023.
Note: Mumbai-Ahmedabad High Speed Rail isn’t a part of this project.