From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : e-DantSeva
Mains level : Significance of oral health
- Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare has launched the e-Dantseva website and mobile application.
- This is first-ever national digital platform on oral health information and knowledge dissemination.
- e-DantSeva is the first-ever national digital platform that provides oral health information both in the form of a website and mobile application.
- The website and mobile application provide oral health information gathered from authentic scientific resources and connects the public to timely advice for managing any dental emergency or oral health problem.
- This initiative of the Ministry with AIIMS and other stakeholders aims to sensitize the public about the significance of maintaining optimum oral health.
- It equips them with the tools and knowledge to do so, including awareness on the nearest oral health service facility.
- e-DantSeva contains information about the National Oral Health Program, detailed list of all the dental facility and colleges, Information, Education and Communication (IEC) material.
- It contains a unique feature called the ‘Symptom Checker’, which provides information on symptoms of dental/oral health problems, ways to prevent these, the treatment modes, and also directs the user to find their nearest available dental facility (public and private sectors both).
Why such move?
- Dental caries/cavities and periodontal disease remain the two most prevalent dental diseases of the Indian population and dental infections have a potential for serious diseases/infections.
- Oral health is indispensable for the wellbeing and good quality of life.
- Poor oral health affects growth negatively in all aspects of human development.