From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : EChO Network
Mains level : Need for inter-disciplinary approach
EChO network to catalyze cross-disciplinary leadership in India has been recently launched.
- It is a national program to provide a template for cross-disciplinary leadership in India with the specific focus of increasing research, knowledge, and awareness of Indian ecology and the environment has been launched.
- The purpose of this Network is to bring all those together to share knowledge and synergize efforts under the umbrella of science.
- It aims to train a new generation of educators and students who can identify and solve problems in an interdisciplinary manner to tackle real-world problems in medicine, agriculture, ecology, and technology.
The initiative has drawn in partners from Government, industry and academia, with the Office of the Principal Scientific Adviser to the Govt. of India steering the program under the guidance of Prof. Shannon Olsson, Director, EChO Network.
- India faces unprecedented threats to its human environmental and ecosystems, solving which requires a confluence of India’s strong technological expertise and knowledge of the natural world itself.
- EChO Network would develop a national network to catalyse a new generation of Indians who can synthesize interdisciplinary concepts and tackle real-world problems in medicine, agriculture, ecology, and technology.
- With no precedent for such a network anywhere in the world, EChO Network establishes a new platform to change how science is embedded in our modern society.