Mains Paper 2: Governance | Important aspects of governance, transparency and accountability, e-governance- applications, models, successes, limitations, and potential
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: SVEEP
Mains level: The newscard talks about measure to ensure participation of PwDs in Electoral process.
Elections to be accessible for PwDs
- The Election Commission of India (ECI) has organized “National Consultation on Accessible Elections,”
- The event is a part of the ECI’s pursuit of its mission ‘leave no voter behind’ with special focus on “Persons with Disabilities” (PwD).
- During the inaugural session, a dedicated portal for the ECI’s ‘Systematic Voters Education and Electoral Participation’ (SVEEP) initiative will also be launched.
- They are aimed at identifying the barriers or gaps in the inclusion of PwD’s in the electoral process, to assess the existing accessibility initiatives and to find solutions for the challenges being faced by the PwD’s.
- The whole exercise is to enhance their participation in the forthcoming state and Lok Sabha elections.
- The theme of “Inclusion of PwD’s” has been given a special focus in the ECI’s Strategic Plan 2016-2025.
- Besides, “Accessible Elections” has been adopted as its central theme for this year’s National Voters’ Day celebrations (25th Jan)
Systematic Voters Education and Electoral Participation (SVEEP)
- SVEEP is a programme of multi interventions through different modes and media designed to educate citizens, electors and voters about the electoral process in order to increase their awareness and participation in the electoral processes
- SVEEP is designed according to the socio-economic, cultural and demographic profile of the state as well as the history of electoral participation in previous rounds of elections and learning thereof
- Now it includes enhanced interaction with the citizens through social media, online contests and voters’ festivals; awareness about new initiatives of linking EPIC with AADHAAR and National Voters’ Service Portal and a regularised yearly plan of activities
- In addition to target groups of women, youth, urban voters and the marginalized sections, the inclusion of groups like service voters, NRIs, persons with disabilities, prospective voters/ students is of primary focus