Mains Paper 3: Environment | Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Eco Niwas Samhita
Mains level: Promoting energy efficiency standards in building and constructions
- Giving a further fillip to India’s energy conservation efforts, Ministry of Power has launched the ECO Niwas Samhita 2018, an Energy Conservation Building Code for Residential Buildings (ECBC-R).
ECO Niwas Samhita 2018
- It aims to benefit the occupants and the environment by promoting energy efficiency in design and construction of homes, apartments and townships.
- The parameters listed in the Code have been developed based on large number of parameters using climate and energy related data.
- ECBC for commercial buildings was already in place and revised and updated version of ECBC for commercial buildings was launched in June 2017.
- Initially, Part-I of the Code has been launched which prescribes minimum standards for building envelope designs with the purpose of designing energy efficient residential buildings.
- The implementation of this Code will give a fillip to energy efficiency in residential sector.
- The Code is expected to assist large number of architects and builders who are involved in design and construction of new residential complexes in different parts of the country.
- Implementation of this Code will have potential for energy savings to the tune of 125 Billion Units of electricity per year by 2030, which is equivalent to about 100 million ton of Co2 emission.
- It is estimated that energy demand in the building sector will rise from around 350 billion units in 2018 to approximately 1000 billion units by year 2030.
National Energy Conservation Awards
- National Energy Conservation Day is celebrated every year on 14th December by Ministry of Power in association with Bureau of Energy Efficiency.
- In order to recognise the efforts of industry and other establishments towards promoting energy efficiency, on this Day, Ministry of Power organizes National Energy Conservation Awards.