From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Ecoclub Programme
Mains level : Sensitization measures for environment protection
The annual meet of the National Green Corps ‘Ecoclub’ programme of the MoEF&CC was recently organized.
- Environment Education Awareness and Training (EEAT) is an established central sector scheme of the Environment ministry continuing since 1983-84.
- It aims to promote environmental awareness and mobilize student’s participation for environment conservation.
- Under the scheme, National Green Corps (NGC) ‘Ecoclub’ programme was initiated in 2001-2002 with the objective to impart knowledge to school children through hands on experience, about their immediate environment, interactions within it and the problems therein.
- The programme aims to inculcate proper attitude towards environment and sensitize children on issues related to environment and development.
- The scheme is continuing to build young cadres of students and trigger their sensitivity towards environment protection and conservation.
- It is envisaged that number of Ecoclubs shall be enhanced from about 1.5 lakh at present to 2 lakh in the ensuing year 2020-21.