Mains Paper 2: Governance | Citizens charters, transparency & accountability & institutional & other measures
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: EBS 2018
Mains level: Funding to political parties
- Union govt. has notified the Electoral Bond Scheme 2018.
- As per provisions of the Scheme, Electoral Bonds may be purchased by a person who is a citizen of India or incorporated or established in India.
- A person being an individual can buy Electoral Bonds, either singly or jointly with other individuals.
- Only the Political Parties registered under Section 29A of the Representation of the People Act, 1951 and which secured not less than one per cent of the votes polled in the last General Election to the House of the People or the Legislative Assembly of the State, shall be eligible to receive the Electoral Bonds.
- It will be available in multiples of Rs1,000, Rs10,000, Rs1 lakh, Rs10 lakh and Rs1 crore.
- The Electoral Bonds shall be encashed by an eligible Political Party only through a Bank account with the Authorized Bank.
- State Bank of India (SBI) has been authorised to issue and encash Electoral Bonds through its 29 Authorised Branches.
Terms and Conditions
- It may be noted that Electoral Bonds shall be valid for fifteen calendar days from the date of issue.
- No payment shall be made to any payee Political Party if the Electoral Bond is deposited after expiry of the validity period.
- The Electoral Bond deposited by an eligible Political Party in its account shall be credited on the same day.