Mains Paper 2: Governance | Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: ERSS, 112 India App, SHOUT
Mains level: Need for pan-India emergency response system.
- The Union Home Ministry has launched Emergency Response Support System (ERSS) for Himachal Pradesh.
Emergency Response Support System (ERSS)
- Central Government has allocated ₹321.69 Crore under Nirbhaya Fund for implementation of ERSS project across the country.
- Under this project, a single number based 112 emergency services which will connect to Police, Fire, Health and other help lines through an Emergency Response Centre in the State.
- The service also includes a ‘112 India’ mobile app integrated with Panic Button of smartphones and ERSS State website for ease of citizen in availing immediate assistance.
- To increase the effectiveness of Emergency Response, the ERC has also been integrated with Location Based Services provided by Telecom Service Providers.
- Himachal Pradesh is the first state to launch pan-India single emergency number ‘112’ under ERSS.
- The ‘112 India’ mobile app will be subsequently rolled out in all States & Union Territories to help people across the country access the unified emergency services.
Safety Feature for Women
- To ensure safety of women, a SHOUT feature has been introduced in ‘112 India’ mobile app.
- It helps seek immediate assistance from registered volunteers in the vicinity apart from the immediate assistance from Emergency Response Centre.