From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : ERSS
Mains level : Policing reforms
- The MHA has launched three citizen centric services of the Chandigarh Police.
- These valuable public services would effectively reduce the response time of police to address the distress calls of the public and strengthen the police-public interface endeavour of community policing.
Emergency Response Support System
- ERSS is one of the key projects of the Union MHA under Nirbhaya Fund.
- It has been designed to play a pivotal role in mitigation or preventing escalation of crime, especially against women and children.
- ERSS provides a single emergency number (112), computer aided dispatch of field resources to the location of distress.
- Citizens can send their emergency information through call, sms, email and through the 112 India mobile app.
- The ‘Dial 112’ emergency response service is an initiative to strengthen proactive community policing that would end confusion amongst distress callers, who at times end up dialling 100 in fire or medical emergency cases.
- The ‘E-Beat Book’ is a web and mobile based application which will ease the collection, updation and analysis of the information related to crime and criminals in a real time.
- In each division, there is one ‘Atal Sehbhagita Kendra’that is under the supervision of a Beat Officer, having an Android Phone to the use the app.
- The E-Beat Book would be linked with Crime and Criminal Tracking Network & Systems (CCTNS), which would help in a real time updation of crime/criminal data.
- The citizen can directly approach the‘Atal Sehbhagita Kendra’ for redressal of their grievances and can render their suggestions too.
- The ‘E-Saathi’ App would help the general public, including senior citizens, to remain in touch with the police and also give suggestions to facilitate participative community policing (‘Your Police at Your Doorstep’ initiative).
- The beat officer would be able to provide services like passport verification, tenant verification, servant verification, character certification etc. at a click of a button through the app, without the people needing to visit the police station.
- With this initiative, on one hand, where the beat officer would become more efficient in his/her working, this would make police-people communication a two-way process, on the other.