Mains Paper 3 : Economics Of Animal-Rearing |
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Rashtriya Gokul Mission
Mains level : Promoting indigenous breeds for animal husbandry
- Funds have been mobilized under Rashtriya Gokul Mission (RGM) for setting up of 21 Gokul Grams as Integrated Cattle Development Centres.
About Rashtriya Gokul Mission
- The RGM has been launched by the Government for conservation and development of indigenous breeds in a focused and scientific manner.
- The mission envisages establishment of integrated cattle development centres „Gokul Grams to develop indigenous breeds including upto 40% nondescript breeds.
- Rashtriya Gokul Mission is a focussed project under National Programme for Bovine Breeding and Dairy Development, with an outlay of Rs 500 crore during for three years from 2014-15 to 2016-17.
- Development and conservation of indigenous breeds
- Breed improvement programme for indigenous cattle breeds to improve their genetic makeup and increase the stock;
- Enhancement of milk production and productivity;
- Upgradation of nondescript cattle using elite indigenous breeds like Gir, Sahiwal, Rathi, Deoni, Tharparkar, Red Sindhi and
- Distribution of disease free high genetic merit bulls for natural service.
- Rashtriya Gokul Mission is being implemented through “State Implementing Agencies (SIA) viz Livestock Development Boards.
- All Agencies having a role in indigenous cattle development are “Participating Agencies” like CFSPTI, CCBFs, ICAR, Universities, Colleges, NGO‟s, Cooperative Societies.
- These are Indigenous Cattle Centres and will act as Centres for development of Indigenous Breeds.
- They’ll be established- a) in native breeding tracts and b) near metropolitan cities for housing the urban cattle.
- A dependable source for supply of high genetic breeding stock to the farmers in the breeding tract.
- Self sustaining and will generate economic resources from sale of milk, organic manure, vermi-composting, urine distillates, and production of electricity from bio gas for in house consumption and sale of animal products.
- Also function as state of the art in situ training centre for Farmers, Breeders.
For additional readings, navigate to the page: