From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Ex Garuda
- The Indian Air Force is participating in a bilateral exercise between Indian and French Air Force named Exercise ‘Garuda-VI’ France in July ‘19.
- This is the sixth edition of Exercise Garuda and is being planned in France.
- The first edition of the Garuda exercise was held in February 2003 in Gwalior.
- The last exercise, ‘Garuda V’ was held at Air Force Station Jodhpur in Jun 2014.
- A fleet of Sukhoi 30 fighter jets of the Indian Air Force will engage in dogfights with France’s Rafale multirole aircraft in simulated scenarios as part of the exercise.
Benefits of the exercise
- This will enhance understanding of interoperability during mutual operations between the two Air Forces and provide an opportunity to learn from each other’s best practices.
- Participation of IAF in the exercise will also promote professional interaction, exchange experiences and operational knowledge besides strengthening bilateral relations with the French Air Force.
- It will also provide a good opportunity to the air warriors to operate in an international environment.