From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Exercise TSENTR 2019
Mains level : Significance of the exercise
Exercise TSENTR 2019
- It is part of the annual series of large scale exercises that form part of the Russian Armed Forces’ annual training cycle.
- The series rotates through the four main Russian operational strategic commands.
- These annual exercises have slowly began taking an international character, with Belarus participating in ZAPAD-2017 and China and Mongolia participating in VOSTOK-2018.
- This year, invitations for participation have been extended to nine other countries.
- Apart from host Russia, military contingents from China, India, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Pakistan and Uzbekistan will also take part in this mega event.
Aim of the exercise
- The exercise aims at evolving drills of the participating armies and practicing them in the fight against the scourge of international terrorism thereby ensuring military security in the strategic central Asian region.
- It will focus on evaluating the level of troop preparedness, the acquisition of the required skills and raising the level of inter- operability and demonstrate the readiness of the participating armies.