From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : About the Exercise
Mains level : Not Much
- The first part of the Indo-French joint naval exercise, Varuna 19.1 is being held off the Goa coast.
Exercise Varuna 19.1
- The bilateral naval exercise initiated in 1983 and christened as ‘Varuna’ in 2001, form a vital part of the Indo-French strategic partnership.
- Having grown in scope and complexity over the years, this exercise exemplifies the strong relations between the two nations, in line with the Joint Strategic Vision of India-French Cooperation in the Indian Ocean Region.
- The Varuna exercise aims at developing interoperability between the two navies and fostering mutual cooperation by learning from each other’s best practices to conduct joint operations.
- The exercise underscores the shared interests and commitment of both nations in promoting maritime security.
- The second part, Varuna 19.2, is scheduled to be held at the end of May in Djibouti.