From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Feni River
Mains level : Outstanding water sharing issues with Bangladesh
- The Union Cabinet has given its approval for the MoU between India and Bangladesh on withdrawal of 1.82 cusec of water from Feni River by India for drinking water supply scheme for Sabroom town Tripura.
- Feni River is a river in southeastern Bangladesh.
- It is a trans-boundary river with an ongoing dispute about water rights.
- The Feni River originates in South Tripura district and flows through Sabroom town and then enters Bangladesh.
- Muhuri River, also called Little Feni, from Noakhali District joins it near its mouth.
- The river is navigable by small boats as far as Ramgarh, about 80 kilometres (50 mi) upstream.
Why such agreement?
- The question of sharing of the waters of the river between India and Pakistan was first discussed in 1958.
- As on date, there is no water-sharing agreement on Feni River between India and Bangladesh.
- The present supply of drinking water to Sabroom town is inadequate. The ground water in this region has high iron content.
- Implementation of this scheme would benefit over 7000 population of Sabroom town.