Mains Paper 2: Governance | Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Swadesh Darshan Scheme
Mains level: Expanding tourism in Tribal areas
- Peren-Kohima-Wokha Project is the first project to be implemented in Nagaland under Swadesh Darshan Scheme of Ministry of Tourism.
- The project “Development of Tribal Circuit: Peren-Kohima-Wokha” was sanctioned by the Ministry of Tourism in November 2015.
- Under the project the Ministry has developed facilities like Tribal Tourist Village, Eco Log Huts, Open Air Theatre, Tribal Rejuvenation Centre, Cafeteria, Helipad, Tourist Interpretation Centre, Wayside Amenities, Last Mile Connectivity etc.
- In addition to this, the Ministry has also sanctioned another project in Nagaland “Development of Tribal circuit: Mokokchung–Tuensang-Mon” which is under progress.
- India’s rich cultural, historical, religious and natural heritage provides a huge potential for development of tourism and job creation in the country
- This can be achieved only through an integrated approach by providing engaging experiences for distinct categories of tourists i.e. Domestic and International
- In due recognition to this the Government of India, Ministry of Tourism (MoT) launched the Swadesh Darshan Scheme (Central Sector Scheme) for integrated development of theme-based tourist circuits in the country in 2014-15
- Various themes which are unique and specific to the area can include beaches, culture, heritage, wildlife etc.
- Such theme based tourist circuits are developed in a manner that supports communities, provides employment and fosters social integration without comprising upon the environmental concerns and provides unique experiences to the tourists
- This scheme is envisioned to synergise with other Government of India schemes like Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, Skill India, Make in India etc. with the idea of positioning the tourism sector as a major engine for job creation and economic growth.